Live your life freely!
A prosthesis can help you regain your former mobility
Talk to your doctor to find out if a prosthesis might be right for you.
How does your knee work?
The knee is the joint connecting the leg to the thigh. It is made up of three bones: the femur, the tibia and the patella (or kneecap). In a healthy knee, the bones are covered with articular cartilage. This protects the bone and facilitates sliding between the joint surfaces when the knee is flexed. Cartilage wears out not only over the years but also with use. Cartilage wears out not only over the years but also with use.
What is knee osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a disease characterized by degenerative and chronic wear and tear of the articular cartilage. Osteoarthritis is the most common joint condition and the first symptoms generally appear from the age of 40-50 years. It may occur earlier, especially following trauma (e.g. fracture, ligament injury or meniscus tear).
What is a knee prosthesis?
Total knee arthroplasty aims to replace any bone and cartilage worn out by osteoarthritis through the insertion of a prosthesis. The knee prosthesis is made up of three or four metal and plastic components.
- The femoral component (metal) and the tibial component (metal) replace the articular surfaces of the femur and tibia worn down by osteoarthritis.
- The polyethylene tibial insert (plastic) replaces the cartilage by allowing the metal prosthetic components to articulate with each other.
- In addition, the insert also allows total or partial replacement of cruciate ligaments by increasing stability between the femur and tibia.
- The patella component (plastic) serves as a substitute for the worn cartilage of the patella. Patella replacement is not always required when fitting a prosthesis.
Your knee is unique
The anatomy of the knee is complex and varies greatly from one individual to another. There are many variations in bone shape that can depend on size, gender, physical activity and ethnicity.
This makes your knee unique and unlike any other. When fitting a knee prosthesis, it is therefore essential to be able to restore the very specific shape of the knee, in order to be able to regain function and mobility that are as natural as possible.
A prosthesis that's unique, just like you
Standard prosthesis ranges come in many sizes, but have a common shape that corresponds to the anatomical average.
In contrast, the ORIGIN® custom-made prosthesis accurately reproduces the shape and contour of your knee. The alignment of your leg is also restored to its condition prior to the wear and tear of your joint cartilage.
The prosthesis adapts to you and not the other way around.
How is my prosthesis made?
Symbios, after modeling your femur in 3D from a scanner, designs and manufactures a custom-made prosthesis specifically for your knee. The custom-made implants are then manufactured on a just-in-time basis for delivery a few weeks later to the hospital for your operation.
Making the most of your new knee
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay active and healthy
- Avoid excessive physical activity
- Go for regular health check-ups
And above all…Enjoy life with your new knee!
Discover a few amazing stories of patients
who have regained their mobility thanks to Symbios
Rediscover your former life, just like Françoise!
Would you like more information about our knee prostheses?